Monday, July 14, 2014

We Were Liars

     I had heard great things about We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, but the tricky thing was that I had no idea what those "great things" were. Every review I read or heard was that I should just trust them because there are so few things you actually can say about the plot without spoiling the mystery. In fact, the tipping point for me giving in to the hype was reading the dust jacket flap copy that ended with:

     "Read it.
     And if anyone asks you how it ends,
     just LIE."

     Come on! Hats off to you editors and marketing gurus, cause I had another book bright with promise in my hand that was promptly set back on the shelf. (Sorry Beginning of Everything, I shall return to you someday).



     So here's what I can say without giving anything away. Every summer, Cadence Sinclair lives on a private island off the Massachusetts coast with her grandparents, aunts, and cousins. If I describe them, I'm sure you'll hate them. Blond, athletic, beautiful, smart, rich, privileged, out of touch with reality and hard work. Initially I found the family delightfully disgusting, but thankfully E. Lockhart is awesome and gave them each a depth and complexity that makes them much more human.
 
     All right, that's enough. Get ready for some vague teasers. There's an accident, and secret, and a search for truth amidst liars. I hate to be that person but you really have to read it; and until then try your hardest to stay away from spoilers (which somehow I managed to do?)!

     I read this book in a few days - always a good sign - and I just...what. What.

     After I turned the last page and everything was shockingly explained, I wanted to flip right back to the beginning and read it again to spot all the clues. Because, like every good mystery writer, the clues were right there for us readers, but I didn't guess it. And I loved being along for such a wild ride.

     It's a great summer read with good pacing and an awesome plot. The writing is very poetic and at times abstract, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed something different. Sometimes the first person narration left me wanting deeper glimpses into family interactions or even more emotional depth, but honestly I can't pinpoint exactly how I would change it and really that's a very small critique to a book I very much enjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment