Monday, July 7, 2014

Traveling with Pomegranates

     After years of this book sitting on my shelf staring at me with so much promise and a beautiful cover, I finally gave Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor a try. What better airplane reading than a travelogue? From what I had gathered about the book, it was a mother-daughter travel memoir through the sacred places of Greece, Turkey, and France. The mother, Sue is struggling with the acceptance of aging whilst watching her daughter take control of her adult life. Ann, her daughter, is fresh out of college and battling depression after being rejected from the graduate program and career she was hoping for. Oh, and as an extra bonus both are toying around the idea of writing a book - which was icing on the cake for me. Sounds promising, right?


 
     I was excited to read this book for two reasons: the rich settings and a good, heartwarming mother-daughter story. I wish I could say that I got exactly what I was expecting, but unfortunately it wasn't even close. Each chapter focuses on the inward dilemmas of either the mother or the daughter, with brief acknowledgments of the beautiful vacation they are privileged to be on or a split second of wondering what the other family member is thinking. The majority of the book is Sue ferociously trying to find examples of the "divine within" and a desperate attempt to view what she calls "the female essence of God"; and Ann fearing losing her independence to write if she marries or has a "normal" job. Perhaps I found both journeys strange and distracting because they weren't relatable to me?

     I feel almost guilty for not liking this book because these were real experiences, but it was so not as described. Even if it was as advertised, the lack of living in the moment and focusing on the people in your life in the here and now made it come off as, well, selfish. Most people would dream of their lifestyle: writing on your own schedule and taking frequent trips to experience ancient cultures with family, but both Sue and Ann seemed to find only misery within themselves for most of the book.

     Now that I feel bad for being so negative, I will say that they are both talented writers. I enjoyed the way they described their experiences, I really did. I also loved watching the creative process for both women as they nurtured the ideas for their respective books. It was such an intimate thing to share, and anyone who has ever created anything could easily relate to the process. An incomplete idea, self-doubt, the relief and joy that comes from the small victories. I really did enjoy those chapters.

     And it was also neat to see mother and daughter grow closer as they traveled, but I feel like it was such small sub-plot in the grand scheme of this book that I was left a little disappointed.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment